lennoxtown Castle lies 11 miles north of Glasgow overlooking the Campsie Fells. Architect David Hamilton was commissioned by John Lennox Kincaid in 1837 to build the castle in order to establish his claim to the lapsed title of Earl of Lennox. Finished in 1841 the family occupied the building until the outbreak of World War 1 when the castle was used as a hospital. It wasnt until 1927 that the castle officially became a hospital when Glasgow Parish Council paid £25,000 for the building and 1222 acre estate. The new institution was opened by Lord Provost John Stewart on the 24th September 1936 and was named 'Lennox Castle Certified Institution for Mental Defectives.'
In 1987 the original Lennox Castle which had been used to house patients during the building of the institution, then as a nurses home, was no longer required for this purpose and was closed. By 1992 the Castle building had fallen into a state of disrepair which led to its addition to the Building at Risk Register for Scotland. The institution finally closed its doors in April 2002 after 75 years.
By the end of 2004 all of the former hospital buildings on the upper and lower sites were demolished leaving the Castle in a severely deteriorated state. The majority of the floors have collapsed and masonry is falling internally and externally. New housing and Celtic FC's training ground now occupies the cleared upper and lower sites.